Here you go girls!!!
3 lbs Russet Potatoes
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 egg, extra large
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup canola oil
Boil the potatoes whole until they are soft. (45 min) While still warm, peel and mash until creamy. No lumps. (this part takes the longest. Especially if you don't have a potato masher. We used a fork)
Put water on to boil in a large spaghetti pot. Set up ice bath with 6 cups of ice and 6 cups of water near boiling water. (Kurt and I skipped the ice bath because we were eating them right away.)
Make a volcano with the potatoes and sprinkle with all the flour. Place egg and salt in center of volcano and using a fork, stir into flour and potatoes. Once egg is mixed, bring dough together and knead. keep kneading for about 4 minutes until dough is dry to the touch.
Sprinkle flour all over counter and divide dough into baseball size balls. Roll balls into 3/4 inch diameter dowels. Cut dowels into 1 inch long pieces. Flick pieces off of fork. (good thing Kurt had made these before or else I wouldn't have understood what this meant. I don't know how to explain it. Kurt will have to show you.) Drop pieces into boiling water and cook until they float, about 1 minute. Continue with remaining dough. When they float remove them with a slotted spoon and place in ice bath. Continue u ntil all have cooled off. Let sit several minutes in bath and drain from ice and water. Toss with 1/2 cup canola oil and store covered in refrigerator up to 48 hour until ready to serve.
Hope you all enjoy your Gnocchi. Now you can see why they take so long to make. If you want them for dinner at 5 start at 3.
26 January, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
YUM! You have solved my dinner dilemma. Now, how to encourage Dave to mash 3 lbs of potatoes by his lonesome...
Thanks!!
I hope you don't mind if I add this recipe to the ward cook book, because I'm going to. :)
Post a Comment