I hate washing dishes, I don't think anyone has hated anything as much as I hate dirty dishes. I am affraid of the food that is stuck to the plates, the way the rag gets stinky, the hot water that you have to wash them in, and how dirty the water gets. I also have a problem touching something that someone else has touched their mouths to.
So one day Kurt and I bought paper plates, so we could have people over and not have to wash as many dishes. Here comes the Dilemma. Should we use them every night? No. Why? Because of the earth. All this talk of being green and saving the planet has me thinking. I need to do my part. I am all for not using plastic grocery bags and driving less and recycling.......but dishes?
If we used paper plates every night all I would have to worry about would be pots and pans and that would be a lot easier to deal with than plates and silverware and cups........However, real dishes are great. You only have to pay for them once. They don't get soggy and they hold their shape and they look pretty when they are clean. Who can deny the satisfaction of a nicely set table?
But in the end we all need to wash them. That is why dishwashers were invented. For the people. For me. I think that every living quarters, be it an apartment, house, duplex, trailer, prefabricated home or condo be equipped with a dishwasher. But alas, my apartment doesn't have one. Nor does my landlord want to get one. So I am stuck with this dilemma. Paper or ceramic.
We will use ceramic because we can't afford paper all the time, and I want to be "green".
26 January, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think we belong to the same club. I detest dishes. And we have a dishwasher.
Love your morale dilemma, don't we all feel that way at one point, tell me what are your feelings on vacuuming? For that matter how about cleaning the bathroom, I mean there are dirty bodies in the tub daily? Can I just tell you I don't like to do house work, period, but the dishes are the easy part. Maybe if you had a big sink like mine the dilemma wouldn't seem as bad, just hide the dishes in the sink and when the sink is full and the countertop is covered and you can't fix dinner then do the dishes. However if there are only ten dirty dishes then Derek does them
I also detest washing dishes, it's not so bad if I remember to rinse them off when I'm done with them though.
Post a Comment