02 August, 2008

Kurt's Obsession


Very rarely will I (Kurt) post on our blog. Kati does a wonderful job of documenting the entertaining events of our lives.
There is one thing however - controversial as it may be - that has become a fun focus of research and weekend excursions. Lately I've been looking into alternate transportation, in efforts to beat the rocketing gas prices. Of course being the proud owner of a Y chromosome ensured that my first and only logic choice was a motorcycle. I must make it clear however that I am a strict cruiser fan, and I refuse to look at bullet bikes. I really do like the idea of driving several hundred miles on a little less that 12 dollars in gas.
As a result of my two-wheeled-infatuation, Kati, Abbi and I have been to every dealer in Logan (All four of them) pricing and drooling. So far I've managed to get the hopes up of sales reps at the Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Harley Davidson dealerships up here. We even visited several people that were selling their bikes on KSL. Needless to say we've been doing a lot of homework on the subject.
I actually sighed up for a BRC course (An in depth course to train riders on the basics and critical mind set need to ride the road safely). I've also been studying to take the rideing and written test to get my new license. There is a lot that goes into becoming legal.
All in all, I must thank my wonderful wife Kati for her kind support and contagious excitementas we've explored the potential for transportation.

P.S. For those who know a little bit about Motorcycles, my research has led me to pick my dream bike, a ...
2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Specs
Engine:50 cubic inch, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 45 degree V-twin, SOHC, 8-valves, TSCC
Bore Stroke:83.0 x 74.4mm
Compression Ratio:9.4:1
Fuel System:Fuel Injection
Lubrication:Wet Sump
Ignition:Digital
Transmission:5-speed
Final Drive:Shaft Drive
Overall Length:2370mm (93.3 in.)
Overall Width:920mm (36.2 in.)
Overall Height:1125mm (44.5 in.)
Seat Height:700mm (27.6 in.)
Ground Clearance:140mm (5.5 in.)
Wheelbase:1655mm (65.2 in.)
Dry Weight:247kg (544 lbs.)
Suspension Front:Inverted, telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear:Link-type, oil damped, 7-way adjustable spring preload
Brakes Front:Single hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear:Single drum
Tires Front:130/90-16
Tires Rear:170/80-15
Fuel Tank Capacity:15.5 liter (4.1 gal.)

4 comments:

Elise said...

Good luck Kurt! I just can't let Shane see this or he will be drooling and pining as well!

Kboigirl said...

I've followed Luca around to countless dealers too. I think it's great that Kati is being enthusiastic with you. I can barely conceal my tolerance of each and every motorcycle or car shopping trip and it's gotten to the point where I just don't even want to go anymore. Just make sure that whatever bike you get, you actually ride, cuz they look pretty sitting in the garage, but it's kind of a waste of money if they're not ridden!

Brittany said...

Oh my gosh! My husband has been obsessed with the same thing lately! But I am not as supportive of the idea as Kati is. Good luck!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I second Brittany's comment! David can look and drool, but that is about it!